Tuesday 27 October 2009

British Museum - Day of the Dead arrives in London!


Altar preparations underway at the British Museum (c)

I've been tweeting on few of the Dia de los Muertos events I've heard are happening in London this weekend, but thought I would put a few more details down here. The first and the biggy as far as I can see here in London seems to be the British Museum's Day of the Dead on Sunday, 1 November. The event looks like it's going to be a really fantastic day out. I have been really impressed by their website where you can watch videos to find out how sugar skulls are made and visit the workshop of the Linares family who are renowned for their papier mache folk art and have created the wonderful Moctezuma figure which will be featured at the event. You can join in by posting your own Day of the Dead pics on either their Facebook group or Flickr. There's a live Twitter feed using the hashtag #DOTD09 - for a whole few minutes my Twitter ID @VidaMuerte was sitting on their webpage! Cool or what? You can download their events programme here but in brief, the event opens 11am through to 5pm with Carnival Parades at 1.30pm and 4.30pm. I'm going along with some friends and hoping to bump into Hector and his family, plus a few other fellow Twitter folk that are going. Can't wait! I will be adding more events shortly, watch this space!



Me! @VidaMuerte, on the British Museum's website, whatever next?!!



Click above to visit the BM's fab Day of the Dead event pages!

All images (c)
British Museum www.britishmuseum.org



No comments:

Post a Comment